I have to express, the thing that basically got me interested in electric powered cars was the Tesla Roadster. I truly love cars and when I saw that it accelerates HOW FAST? (0-60mph in under 4 seconds.) – it definitely caught my eye. Ever since that I’ve been looking for the perfect electric transport for my children and learning an awful lot on the way. best da sander for auto body work I have to express from the beginning I found myself EXTREMELY CONFUSED, EXTREMELY FAST when I tried to find out about electric cars! Electric bicycles and electric scooters are all great…. but also for me and other people…. there’s no beating the cars!
However when I started to check closer there was a number of things going against electric cars. Like…there are lots of nice looking sports cars… but they’re so unbelievably expensive for what they provide – and you will have to queue up! OR… you could get a different one that’s PLUG UGLY – but hopefully you’ll feel much better knowing your saving the surroundings! OR… oh wait! Here’s a car that can offer you everything you need… do you want one? Sorry, they’re not out for another 12 years when we circumvent to making it!AND… this one is REALLY CHEAP… but it won’t do anything fancy like.. GO UP A HILL and you’ll usually have to recharge it about 10 times a day! So where are the facts in all of this science fiction and promises? Well this is some of the “Truth” I discovered electric powered cars after all my research. What really can be an Electric Car? There are certainly a few several types of Electric cars:
– Neighbourhood Electric Vehicles
(NEVs) or Low Speed Electric Vehicles (LSVs) are electric cars with a comparatively small range (about 40 miles) and a restricted speed (legally 25mph in the USA). These types of cars would be found in towns or cities where you wouldn’t be travelling far like in London where cars such as the Reva G-wiz has flourished. Or it is found in resorts and neighbourhoods where they usually appear to be a done up golf cart such as the GEM e-series electric cars. There are electric cars such as the Tesla Roadster or the Tango electric car which are created to have the ability to maintain an ordinary petrol/diesel car. These cars can continue motorways and can usually travel fairly long distances (100-200 miles). There are also plug-in hybrids available which aren’t fully electric but come close enough. They can be charged from a plug in addition to by the engine and can travel solely on electricity until their (usually small) battery range runs out.
– What promises do Electric Cars make?Well to start with – a greener, petrol-free tomorrow! They can be operate on clean electricity (not from a coal fired plant) and can run emission free in the event that you want. Sounds very good to me!
So what promises can’t they make at the moment? Unfortunately there’s quite a few at this time:
– Cheap and reliable batteries
– A goodinfrastructure of recharging spots and an instant recharge time.
– Several different makes of cars available now.
– A lot of good value cars that might travel long distances (they can mostly still only get 50-100 miles range).
– That the business making or selling them won’t disappear whenever you want as they’re mostly distributed by smaller companies.
– A competitive price – they’re always much more costly than normal cars. The great thing though is that these specific things are constantly improving and there’s set to be big changes in the coming few years.
– So how do they work? Well the all-electric cars both work in a similar way. The petrol/diesel tank is replaced by lots of batteries which supply the electric “fuel “.There are three forms of batteries lead-acid, nimh and li-ion, with li-ion batteries storing probably the most energy in the least level of space.
A regulator then ensures the vitality coming from the batteries is nice and steady. The engine is then replaced by a motor which will be usually put as close as you possibly can to the wheels, and in some cases in the wheels themselves. There are certainly a few forms of motors available but I won’t enter that right now. A potentiometer then measures how much you’re pressing down on the accelerator and tells the motor. This happens smoothly and gives a large amount of torque instantly. Most electric cars have unbelievable acceleration!
– How are Electric Cars designed? Well there are always a few items that come first in most electric car designs. Air Resistance and weight are two huge issues. Since the batteries add so much weight to the car it needs to be designed as light as you possibly can, which explains why a lot of the cars are very small. The batteries are usually put at the bottom of the car to keep the weight low and stop it from toppling. All that weight at the bottom means even if the largest SUV side swipes you, you’re not going anywhere! Lower air resistance also helps with the number as the car won’t have to utilize energy attempting to fight the air.
– Think about the future of electric cars? The future is looking very good for the electric car. Most major manufacturers have an electric car planned for about 2010 or 2011 which shows how mainstream it’s becoming and there are even some great cars on the way from some of the smaller companies.Future technology also looks bright as there are lots of breakthroughs coming regularly nowadays.